CSignum is the only wireless communications provider that enables transmission of data through the water-air boundary, water column, seabed and subsea structures using HydroFi technology. Our patented communication, monitoring and navigational platform and solutions help global aquaculture, ocean observing, offshore wind, and oil and gas industries. Armed with dynamic readings, our customers can make smart, data-driven decisions for any situation they may encounter.
Purpose of the Role
This permanent role will lead the integration of CSignum products into larger systems. CSignum manufacture a unique low frequency radio modem that enables short range underwater data communications and transmission from submerged equipment, through the water‑air boundary. Our modems typically interface with subsea measurement and control equipment, relaying data to the surface, where we interface with conventional terrestrial radio equipment for long range onward transmission. Integration typically requires battery power management implications that often accompany a move to wireless data transmission and adaptation of the system architecture to accommodate the low data rate, half duplex serial communications our modems deliver.
CSignum is an expanding start-up and ideal candidates will be able to bring experience of process-heavy environments but adapt their approach to an agile and dynamic company, and enjoy a varied workload.
CSignum are looking for a hands-on proactive engineer to work closely with our small team of Electronics, Mechanical and Software engineers. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading system integration and project from a technical perspective.
- Communicating with customers to understand their applications from a detailed technical perspective.
- Communicating to the product management team to identify new features required to integrate applications.
- Ensuring good system engineering practices are carried out in the company.
- Ensuring requirements and test traceability during the course of a project.
- Architecting applications with our products.
- Creating system engineering documentation required to support projects and/or integrations e.g. system descriptions, interface control documents, test plans, requirements capture, and test procedures.
- Creating prototype systems to determine feasibility of applications.
- Specifying internal work packages using Jira.
- Carry out system testing of the end application, and ensure it is ready for release.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas:
- MUST have a good background in electronics.
- General understanding of control systems.
- Experience in design, commissioning or technical support of control systems
- Working knowledge of general communications systems and protocols (Modbus, CANBus, etc.).
- Proven experience working with customers to integrate products in applications specific to them.
- Proven experience integrating different hardware/software/mechanical products.
- Excellent people management, interpersonal and communications skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to work effectively across multiple departments/teams and champion a ‘one-team’ approach.
- Strong decision making and analytical/problem solving skills
It would be beneficial for the candidate to have experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Experience in systems engineering (the role is suitable for someone looking to move into this area, but has demonstrated system level thinking in their past experience).
- Experience working with subsea/underwater equipment.
- Experience in RF communications.
- Experience with embedded software.
- Experience with mechanical product design.
- Experience with requirement management tools.
- Experience working with teams using Jira and SCRUM methodology
- Experience in saltwater and freshwater metrology
- Understanding of SCADA Systems (or similar Distributed Control Systems), distributed monitoring systems, transducers – pressure, load cells, flow, temperature, distance etc
Qualifications & Certifications
- 10 years engineering experience with a number of years in electronics engineering positions is preferred.
- Minimum 2:1 Engineering degree or equivalent is preferred.
- Chartered Engineer status desirable but not essential.
- Competitive salary depending on experience.
- Company Pension Scheme
- 33 days holidays per year (inclusive of public holidays)
- Flexible working hours with some remote working opportunities (post COVID).
- Wide array of onsite facilities such as subsidised gym, child care (Childcare not provided by CSignum), canteen, and pool table.
- Private medical insurance for you and your partner
- Death in service cover