CSignum is the only wireless communications provider that enables transmission of data through the water-air boundary, water column, seabed and subsea structures using HydroFi technology. Our patented communication, monitoring and navigational platform and solutions help global aquaculture, ocean observing, offshore wind, and oil and gas industries. Armed with dynamic readings, our customers can make smart, data-driven decisions for any situation they may encounter.
Purpose of the Role
This role will support the development of applications for CSignum products through both internal and external development channels. The role is a permanent position in the applications engineering department reporting to the Chief Engineer/ Product Manager. This will involve COVID compliant hands-on working in the Bathgate office to carry out test activities that cannot be done working remotely.
CSignum is an expanding start-up and ideal candidates will be able to bring experience of process-heavy environments but adapt their approach to an agile and dynamic company.
CSignum manufacture a unique low frequency radio modem that enables short range underwater data communications and transmission from submerged equipment, through the water‑air boundary. Our modems typically interface with subsea measurement and control equipment, relaying data to the surface, where we interface with conventional terrestrial radio equipment for long range onward transmission. The Hardware Integration Engineer will be responsible for integration of our modems within customer’s wider systems. This typically requires battery power management implications that often accompany a move to wireless data transmission and adaptation of the system architecture to accommodate the low data rate, half duplex serial communications our modems deliver.
CSignum are looking for a hands-on proactive engineer to work closely with our small team of Electronics, Mechanical and Software engineers. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Communicating with customers and our sales team to understand their applications from a detailed technical perspective.
- Communicating to the product management team new features required to integrate applications.
- Architecting applications with our products.
- Creating prototype systems to determine feasibility of applications.
- Specifying well-defined work packages to sub-contractors.
- Specifying internal work packages using Jira.
- Actively managing sub-contractors to ensure they are delivering the right thing on time.
- Test of work packages from sub-contractors.
- System testing of the end application.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas:
- MUST have a strong background in electronics.
- Experience in design, commissioning or technical support of control systems
- Understanding of SCADA Systems (or similar Distributed Control Systems), distributed monitoring systems, transducers – pressure, load cells, flow, temperature, distance etc
- Working knowledge of general communications systems and protocols (Modbus, OPC, CANBus, etc.).
- Proven experience writing specifications to outsource packages of work
- Proven experience managing sub-contractors.
- Proven experience working with customers to integrate products in applications specific to them.
- Proven experience integrating different hardware/software/mechanical products.
- Excellent people management, interpersonal and communications skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to work effectively across Engineering, Sales and Service Delivery and champion a ‘one-team’ approach.
- Strong decision making and analytical/problem solving skills
It would be beneficial for the candidate to have experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Experience working with subsea/underwater equipment.
- Experience in RF communications.
- Experience with embedded software.
- Experience with mechanical product design.
- Experience with requirement management tools.
- Experience working with teams using Jira and SCRUM methodology
- Experience in saltwater and freshwater metrology
Qualifications & Certifications
- 10 years engineering experience with a 8 years in electronics Engineering positions is preferred.
- Minimum 2:1 Engineering degree or equivalent.
- Chartered Engineer status desirable.
- Competitive salary depending on experience.
- Company Pension Scheme
- 33 days holidays per year (inclusive of public holidays)
- Flexible working hours with some remote working opportunities (post COVID).
- Wide array of onsite facilities such as subsidised gym, child care (Childcare not provided by CSignum), canteen, and pool table.
- Private medical insurance for you and your partner
- Death in service cover